Every year the Japanese have some tests and give some awards. It’s called the JNCAP, just like NCAP, just with a J – for Japanese.
Subaru scooped a 5 star rating for the Legacy, which is pretty impressive. You can read the full press release below for more details.
Tokyo, May 10, 2013 - Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the manufacturer of Subaru automobiles, today announced that the Subaru Legacy won the top rank “Five Star Award” for earning the maximum five star overall rating in the 2012 Japan New Car Assessment Program (JNCAP) crash safety evaluation tests conducted by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) and the National Agency for Automotive Safety and Victim’s Aid (NASVA).
The Legacy received the award for the second consecutive year following its 2011 “Five Star Award”. This is the second five-star rating for Subaru in 2012 JNCAP. The Subaru Impreza also won the same prize in November of 2012. Through its brand statement “Confidence in Motion”, FHI is committed to offering its customers Subaru’s distinctive “Enjoyment and Peace of Mind” driving experience.
Subaru will continue to enhance its active, passive and pre-crash safety technologies under the Subaru “All-Around Safety” principle as the foundation of enjoyable, heartsease driving for drivers and passengers.
• Active safety: Accident avoidance with vehicle control and risk avoidance features
• Passive safety: Occupant protection with crash safety features
• Pre-crash safety: Pre-crash detection with advanced driver assist technologies such as warning alarm and pre-collision braking
Subaru Legacy Evaluation Overview
• Full-wrap frontal collision: Driver’s seat – Level 5 (Top rank) / Front passenger seat – Level 5 (Top rank)
• Offset frontal collision: Driver’s seat – Level 5 (Top rank) / Rear passenger seat – Level 4
• Side collision: Driver’s seat – Level 5 (Top rank)
• Neck injury protection in rear-end collision: Driver’s seat – Level 4 (Top rank) / Front passenger seat – Level 4 (Top rank)
• Pedestrian head protection: Level 5 (Top rank)
• Pedestrian leg protection: Level 4 (Top rank)
• Passenger seat belt reminder (PSBR): Level 3
Previous JNCAP awards for Subaru
• 2007 – Impreza JNCAP GRANDPRIX
• 2008 – Forester JNCAP EXCELLENT CAR
• 2009 – Legacy JNCAP GRANDPRIX
• 2011 – Legacy JNCAP FIVE STAR AWARD
• 2012 – Legacy, Impreza JNCAP FIVE STAR AWARD
With the aim to encourage consumers to choose safe vehicles by raising awareness on automobile safety as well as to promote manufacturers to develop safer products, JNCAP conducts testing on models selected from among commercially available vehicles in the Japanese market and releases overall ratings based on the JNCAP crash performance tests including full-wrap / offset frontal collision tests, a side collision test and pedestrian head / leg protection tests.